Friday, June 24, 2011

Trend Alert: Grunge Chic is in the Building!


Lace with leather, dresses and combat boots, plaid and pearls … All so contrasting yet somehow they work. My trend observation of late is contrasts, namely one in particular: “Grunge Chic”. It’s quite contradictory but I really like this new ‘style’ of dressing.

This style draws inspiration from the 90’s when grunge music was introduced. It is a trendy yet rule defying fashion style. It brings an element of edge and danger into the outfit by paring feminine clothes with hard/Goth accessories or combat boots and a leather jacket. The look can be really polished and worn for day or night as it is so versatile to pull off, all you need are basic grunge staples which are: combat/Doc Martin type boots, a leather jacket and accessories galore (lots of rings on one hand, heavy jewellery etc.). Think rock concert for ladies!

The next few images are courtesy of Lookbook.nu as I found that these pictures did the style more justice and the photographs are beautifully taken, capturing emotion and many different techniques are used.  I also liked that the people in the photos did not look too ‘posed’ and false.

 
This is one of my favourite pictures; it is of Jule, 15, taken in Germany 22 June 2011. I really like how she “edged” up her outfit by wearing grunge boots and a slouch bag in a different colour. She also incorporated animal print that really stands out against the plain, dark colours she is wearing. It is a casual look for daytime that looks chic yet not too formal.


This is not exactly a grunge chic look as such but I found it really interesting how Tamara, 21 from Poland, 22 June 2011, “edged” up her super cute and girl outfit by wearing combat boots. I think it works and tones done the playfulness of her outfit. She could be considered a grunge fairy!



Who says men can’t be chic?! The beauty of this look is that it is so versatile and not gender specific, men and women alike can pull it off without risking looking a complete idiot! This is a picture of Issam, 18, in Casablanca, 22 June 2011. He is dressed in all black, with a low neck top under a leather jacket, paired with tight jeans. I think this look is entirely dependent on his accessories: the chains, slouchy beany, sunglasses and quirky bag.


Sietske, 21 from Netherlands, 22 June 2011 is rocking a really simple outfit with black tights/leggings, a white flowy t-shirt and leather jacket and ankle boots with a chunky detail. I like the simplicity of her look and that she brightened it up with lumo nail polish and silver wrist cuffs.


This look is by Morgan, from Sydney, 21 June 2011. I really liked the subtly of grunge in her outfit, as with Issam’s look the key is in the accessories! I really like how easy it is to create a grunge chic look just by adding accessories or a few details. I think I lied about the first image being my favourite because this one is too pretty! I adore her long skirt paired with a simple black tee!

No comments:

Post a Comment